How to Replace Trimmer Line
How to install trimmer line in a bump-head string trimmer
Using a traditional bump-head string trimmer is a great way to keep your yard looking sharp. The trimmer works by feeding plastic string out of a cutting head that trims tall grass, weeds and other light brush. With no blades to sharpen, these yard trimmers are easy to use and maintain. Simply bump the cutting head against the ground while it's spinning to release trimmer line. When you're out of string, follow the step-by-step instructions below to learn how to install trimmer line.
Step 1: Cut the new trimmer line to length
Begin by cutting 10 feet of new trimmer line. Either 10 feet of twin-strand split line, or two ten-foot lengths of .095" trimmer line should work, but check your operator's manual to find out exactly what kind of trimmer line to use for your Cub Cadet bump-head string trimmer.
Step 2: Take apart the cutting head
Unscrew the bump knob and remove the inner wheel and spring. Set aside the spring for now - you'll be wrapping the trimmer line around the inner wheel.
Step 3: Install the trimmer line
- Locate the two holes on the top of the inner real and insert one end of each length of trimmer line into one of the holes. Pull them through so that the ends match up, and two to three inches of trimmer line remain.
- Insert the short ends of the trimmer line into the other inner reel hole, and then pull the long end of the string to close the loop.
- Following the direction of the arrow on the top of the wheel, tightly wind the trimmer line around the spool. When 6 inches of string remain, push the ends into the holding slots market '0.95"'.
Step 4: Reassemble the string trimmer bump head
- Replace the spring on the shaft.
- Locate the eyelets on the spring head, and feed the trimmer line through.
- Place the wheel back onto the shaft, and line up the holding slots with the eyelets on the cutter head. Hold down the wheel to compress the spring, and then screw the bump knob into the head.
Free the trimmer line
Gently pull both ends of the bump-head trimmer line to ensure it's been released from the holding slots.
Use these instructions to learn how to quickly replace trimmer line in your bump-head string trimmer so you can get back to landscaping. Order string trimmer line online from Cub Cadet or find it at your local Independent Dealer. For more information on string trimmer line installation, maintenance or operation, check your Cub Cadet operator's manual.