Keep your wood chipper or leaf shredder maintained with these tips
If you want your chipper shredder to continue running smoothly, follow the maintenance tips and repair checklist below. When a chipper shredder is not properly maintained, it can become a safety liability. In addition to these wood chipper and leaf shredder maintenance tips, make sure to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule.
- Before cleaning, repairing or inspecting, stop the engine and make certain the impeller and all moving parts have stopped. Disconnect the spark plug wire and ground it against the engine to prevent unintended starting.
- Check wood chipper bolts and screws for proper tightness at frequent intervals and replace if necessary to keep the machine in safe working condition.
- Maintain or replace safety and instruction labels as necessary.
- Remove and clean the flail screen if it becomes clogged. Avoid cleaning with forceful spray so as not to contaminate the fuel system.
- Use a brush or dry cloth to clean the chute and around the muffler.
- Make sure the chipper/shredder is empty of debris before starting the motor every time.
- Use light machine oil when lubricating chipper/shredder components.
- Only use original manufacturer parts when making repairs.
Wood Chipper / Leaf Shredder Maintenance Schedule
Cleaning and lubricating your machine is important. This schedule will help you know when to maintenance your chipper-shredder.
Before each use:
- Clear away debris on and in your chipper-shredder
- Clean the control linkage to avoid malfunctions with the control switch
- Fill the oil and fuel tanks
After every 8 hours of us:
- Apply lubricant to all moving parts, the chute release rode, control levers, hopper assembly and discharge chute swivel pivot joints
- Check for smooth operation and full range of motion throughout the machine
- After the first 8 hours of use, change the oil. After that it only needs to be changed after every 50 hours of use.
Other important chipper-shredder maintenance dates:
- Change the air filter every 25 hours, replace the blades and spark plug annually and be sure to wash the collection bag at the end of every season.
If you follow these tips you'll ensure your chipper-shredder is ready for lawn cleanup for many years to come. For more information on your wood chipper or leaf shredder and proper maintenance, download the operator's manual for your model.