Push Mower Safety Tips
Lawn Mower Safety
Learn How to Safely Use a Push Lawn Mower from Cub Cadet.
When using power equipment to keep your lawn healthy and beautiful, safety should be your first priority. Cub Cadet believes that using a push lawn mower is no different. It's important to learn how to use a push lawn mower safely before operating it. With a few simple lawn mower safety tips, your yard will look amazing and you and your family will remain safe.
Preparing to use a push lawn mower:
- When using a push lawn mower, always wear safety glasses or safety goggles. This lawn mower safety tip should be followed even while performing an adjustment or repair. Objects thrown from a push lawn mower can ricochet and cause serious injury to the eyes.
- When using a push lawn mower, wear sturdy, rough-soled work shoes (preferably steel-toed) and close-fitting slacks and shirts that cover the arms and legs. Never operate a push lawn mower with bare feet, sandals, slippery or light-weight shoes.
Before you power up your push lawn mower:
- Take a short walk around your lawn and thoroughly inspect the area where the push lawn mower will be used. Keeping lawn mower safety in mind, remove all stones, sticks, wire, bones, toys and other debris from the lawn that could be tripped over or picked up and thrown by the blade.
- Plan your mowing pattern. Be aware that your push lawn mower can discard materials as you move. For lawn mower safety, avoid roads, sidewalks and bystanders, as well as walls or obstructions, which may cause discharged material to ricochet back toward you.
- Be sure to inspect the push lawn mower that you plan to use. Keep an eye out for damaged or missing parts and make any adjustments or repairs before you begin. Missing or damaged parts can cause blade contact or thrown object injuries.
When your push lawn mower is in motion, use these safety tips:
- If lawn mower safety is your priority, remember that many injuries occur as a result of the push lawn mower being pulled over the foot during a fall. Do not hold on to the push lawn mower if you are falling; Release the handle immediately.
- When walking with a push lawn mower, never pull the mower back toward you while moving. If you must back the push lawn mower away, remember these lawn mower safety tips:
- First, look down and behind you to avoid tripping.
- Step back from the push lawn mower to fully extend your arms.
- Be sure you are well balanced with sure footing.
- Pull the lawn mower back slowly, no more than half way toward you.