How to Change the Deck Belt on a Cub Cadet Rider
Length of Clip: 3:03
Riding Mower Belt Replacement
How to replace a Cub Cadet riding lawn mower belt
This video will show you how to safely replace the deck belt on a Cub Cadet riding mower. The deck belt connects the crank shaft to the mower blades, causing them to turn. Consider a riding lawn mower belt replacement if you notice cracks forming in the rubber. You can avoid an interruption in operation by replacing the belt before it breaks. Depending on your mower model, the instructions in this video may vary slightly. Before starting any maintenance, be sure to check your operator's manuals for detailed instructions, and remember to use Cub Cadet OEM parts to ensure a secure fit and reliable mower operation.
- Step 1 - Position your riding mower for replacement
- Park your riding lawn mower on a flat, level surface. Before you begin to replace the riding mower belt, turn the engine off and remove the ignition key. Then, disconnect the spark plug ignition wire.
- Elevate the deck height level to its highest position.
- Place wooden blocks that are just short of the deck's highest position under the deck's edge for support, then lower the deck onto the blocks.
- Pull the J hooks from the left side then the right side to release the deck from the hangar brackets.
- Remove wooden blocks from under the deck carefully.
- Pull the click pin out of the front deck hanger rod.
- Step 2 - Replace the riding mower deck belt
- Remove the belt keeper rod and remove the deck belt from around the mower's engine pulley.
- Put the deck height lever back in its highest position and turn the front wheels to the left. Slide the cutting deck out from the right side of the mower.
- Remove the belt cover from the outer pulleys.
- Unhook the idler spring, then remove the nut and bolt which secure the deck idler pulley with the belt keeper. Using a 3/8 drive ratchet in the square hole of the right idler bracket, separate the idler pulleys then remove the left pulley.
- Replace the old mower deck belt with a new Cub Cadet OEM belt. To find the right belt, browse our top-selling belts or use our parts finder tool.
- Reassemble the mower deck by following the previous directions in reverse order.
- Step 3 - Reattach the deck to the riding mower and route the deck belt
- Attach the nut and bolt which secure the deck's idler pulley with the belt keeper. Re-hook the idler spring.
- Put the belt covers back on the outer pulleys.
- Slide the cutting deck back under the mower.
- Route the deck belt around the engine pulley and secure the belt keeper rod.
- Insert the click pin into the front deck hanger rod.
- Insert the J hooks into the hanger brackets on the left and right side of the mower.
- Reconnect the spark plug ignition wire and start the mower. Take note of any off noises or vibrations, which could indicate an improperly installed mower deck belt.
If you're not sure how to replace a riding lawn mower belt on your model after reviewing this page, take your tractor to a certified Cub Cadet service dealer. Attempting maintenance that you're not comfortable performing could lead to injury or damage your machine.