How to Change the Deck Belt on a Cub Cadet Garden Tractor
Step-by-step riding lawn mower drive belt replacement instructions and video.
Watch this video to learn how to replace the deck belt on this Cub Cadet riding lawn mower. Depending on your garden tractor model, the instructions in this video may vary slightly so always be sure to check your operator's manual for detailed instructions.
- Step 1 - Prepare the mower for deck belt replacement
- Place the riding mower on a flat, level surface.
- Make sure the engine is off and cool, then disconnect the spark plug ignition wire.
- Engage the parking brake.
- Put the deck height lever in its lowest position.
- Step 2 - Remove the old deck belt.
- Release the idler pulley tension lever, and then remove the PTO belt from the deck.
- Pull the J-hooks from the right side and then the left side to release the deck from the hanger brackets.
- Raise the deck to its highest position.
- Slide the deck forward and remove the front lift rod.
- Turn the front wheels to the right and then to the left while maneuvering the cutting deck out from below the right side of the mower.
- Remove the belt covers from the outer pulleys.
- Release the tension on the idler deck arm. Remove the belt from the right idler pulley.
- Loosen the left, fixed idler pulley. Remove the deck belt.
- Step 3 - Install the replacement belt and reassemble the mower deck
- Route the new deck belt.
- Reassemble by following the previous directions in reverse order.
- Slide the deck back under the mower from the right side.
- Reattach front lift rod and lower the deck to its lowest position.
- Replace the J-hooks.
- Release the idler pulley tension lever and reattach the PTO belt.
- Reconnect the spark plug ignition wires.
Be sure to replace your Cub Cadet riding mower deck belt regularly, according to your operator's manual. The rubber belt will wear out over time with regular use, so avoid an unexpected repair by keeping parts on hand and replacing the belt before it breaks.