Maintenance Checklist and Tips
Lawn Mower Maintenance Tips & Checklist
Keep your machine running with our self-propelled lawn mower maintenance checklist and tips
A well-maintained mower can far outlast its warranty, providing years of safe, reliable operation. To maximize the life of your self-propelled lawn mower, use the maintenance tips and checklist items below. Fore more information about your specific lawn mower, download your operator's manual.
- Make sure the blade and all moving parts have stopped moving before cleaning, repairing or inspecting your self-propelled lawn mower. Disconnect the spark plug wire and ground it against the engine to avoid unintended starting.
- Tighten the blades, nuts, screws and engine mounting bolts at frequent intervals as they may become loose with the motion of the machine.
- Inspect blade for damage periodically (e.g., bent, cracked, rusted or worn). If necessary, replace the blade with the original equipment manufacturer's (OEM) blade only. Use of parts which do not meet the original equipment specifications may lead to improper performance and compromise safety. To find Cub Cadet lawn mower blades, check out our top-selling parts and accessories.
- Check that mower blades are sharp and can cut. Use extra caution when servicing the blades, wrapping them or wearing gloves when removing them.
- Stop the engine, disconnect the spark plug and ground the wire against the engine if you strike a foreign object while mowing. Then, inspect the mower for any damage and make repairs before starting and operating the mower again.
- Never attempt to make a wheel or cutting height adjustment while the engine is running.
- Frequently check components like grass catchers, discharge covers and trail shields, which are subject to wear and damage that could expose moving parts or allow objects to be thrown. For safe operation, immediately replace damaged components with OEM parts only. Use of parts which do not meet the original equipment specifications may lead to improper performance and compromise safety.
- Check fuel line, tank, cap and fittings frequently for cracks or leaks. Replace immediately if necessary.
By following the lawn mower maintenance tips above, you can ensure that your self-propelled mower operates safely and efficiently for years to come. And for help finding OEM parts for your mower, use the Cub Cadet Parts Finder below.